Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Doing assignments

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Doing assignments Reply with quote

As you may or may not know, i've started a nightschool class. I was starting to get a bit bored of not actually having anything as a ( semi ) permanent fixture after work.

Anyway, we got given our first assignment recently, and so after staring at the question for what seemed like ages, I decided to phone a friend and as they are doing the same course I went round and we sat and stared at the question together.

Eventually, the thoughts started to flow again ( been a while I must admit doing essays and the like ) I typed them up on my laptop while she wrote what she wanted to put on A4.

I got to the end and announced I had finished she replied that she too had finished but needed to type it up.

I was puzzled by this as surely if you are going to type something up, why not start at the typing stage anyway and through the magic of Cut/Copy/Paste you can re-arrange your essay to suit how you want it to work.

I know a lot of people at school who used to do this, 'where they wrote it out first, then typed it up from notes'. Why? - why not just sit at whatever you use to type it up, and with class notes, text books, essay question, other research etc spread about why not just type it up as you go along?

Just always struck me as a waste of time, or am I the one missing something? - how did you go about producing essays, reports etc ?

aalpha obviously can't really answer in this thread, chalk and slate was the only method then Very Happy
pickle
Forum Champion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose on a computer it's very methodical and you can't really read what you have put all at once.

I think it makes it easier for my brain to process the information in my own handwriting and if it needs to be re-arranged then I can do it before I type it up. Also sometimes you don't notice things on the computer are in the right order unless you print them off, so you are wasting just as much paper.

But just depends how your brain works I guess. The only reason I probs do it on paper first is because that's how I was taught and Microsoft word does frustrate me sometimes as I have actually never had a lesson in how to use it, just had to plod along.
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Doing assignments Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
aalpha obviously can't really answer in this thread, chalk and slate was the only method then Very Happy

Oh contraire snippy one, I've long relied on getting my thoughts all down on the endless page and arrange them to resemble intelligence. Something I'm sure you'll get the hang of again someday. Turd. Razz

area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess everyone works differently.

Some people find it much quicker to randomly scrawl notes onto a sheet of paper and to write down the ideas as soon as they come into your head before they are forgotten. Others find it easier to jot down their ideas as they come onto a screen. I've tried both.

A programme I found really useful when planning essays and revising is

http://www.inspiration.com/

You can create something that looks like a spider diagram. Starting from a central point, your ideas, thoughts and associations can be linked, colour & picture coded however you wish. In an exam, I visually went through the links to other ideas to form an argument.
It helped to organise my random and chaotic brain into organised sections. A brilliant help.

Here's one I made earlier for Employment & Business Law:

aalpha

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that program when you were at uni. I would have bought it if I had been in school and needed it. It was a tad bit expensive for general curiosity hobby sorting. I just made that up!!

It really is a cool way to sort multi-faceted complex topics.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

area51newmexico wrote:

Some people find it much quicker to randomly scrawl notes onto a sheet of paper and to write down the ideas as soon as they come into your head before they are forgotten. Others find it easier to jot down their ideas as they come onto a screen. I've tried both.

You should see my class notes, they start off as sentences, but soon dissolve into blocks of comments, arrows here there and everywhere and how everything relates to everything else. No one else would understand them, and would comment how everything is scruffy, disorganised and how they found it very hard to read. During school I always had trouble explaining to people that they were for my benefit, not theirs.

area51newmexico wrote:

A programme I found really useful when planning essays and revising is

http://www.inspiration.com/

You can create something that looks like a spider diagram. Starting from a central point, your ideas, thoughts and associations can be linked, colour & picture coded however you wish. In an exam, I visually went through the links to other ideas to form an argument.
It helped to organise my random and chaotic brain into organised sections. A brilliant help.

Here's one I made earlier for Employment & Business Law:

{Snip}

Yeah! - just like that actually! i've always described how my mind works like a 'spider's web' so I can fully relate to something like this. I tend to 'draw' arguments in my head with various facts that are floating around, I pull them together into a paragraph and then read them through to see if it conveys everything I want to say. If it's missing something, I find where would be best to put it and add that in.

I'm going to see if there is any FOSS programs like this.

OpenOffice's Draw springs to mind.
whufc88
Forum Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Minty on this one, write the damn thing and then tailor make it once everything is on the screen!

Oh and uh, long time no chat everyone, what did I miss?
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whufc88 wrote:
I'm with Minty on this one, write the damn thing and then tailor make it once everything is on the screen!

Welcome back! How are you doing and what have you been up to?

whufc88
Forum Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

area51newmexico wrote:
whufc88 wrote:

Nothing much really. I stopped coming on here mainly because I was spending too much time at a computer and not enough time in the real world, so I basically just sorted my life out.
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whufc88 wrote:
area51newmexico wrote:
whufc88 wrote:

Nothing much really. I stopped coming on here mainly because I was spending too much time at a computer and not enough time in the real world, so I basically just sorted my life out.

lol:) The real world is over rated.

Are you still at uni doing law or have you got a job now?

whufc88
Forum Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still at uni doing law. It's an unplanned extension I'm doing but, no complaints given how few jobs are available now.
aalpha

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurry up and graduate and take the PM to court for a poor job environment. You'll be set for life, and uh, maybe a favorite yank friend as well hey, mate? Very Happy Very Happy Wink Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: