Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
My last kitten pix, *sniff* they're gone.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: My last kitten pix, *sniff* they're gone. Reply with quote

OK they're not *gone* gone, but I prob won't see them again. Friday was the day to get Artemis (mom) in a trap, the kittens in a carrier and take them to a foster home until they are weened.

She'll be spayed in late November and I'll re-release her in her home territory. Maybe the trust will come back. It did with Houdini; in spades.

My nerves were so shot I couldn't eve speak intelligently. Poor Artemis trusted me so much she didn't even know she was trapped at first. I put some tuna on tin foil in the trap and set it down.

She came out and didn't even know how to get to the food. I had to move her around to the open end and nudge her toward the food. She went to it and didn't give the body of the trap a thought.

So I quickly got hold of the trip lever and let the spring loaded door down gently. She ate and didn't know she was in a trap until she got through and turned to walk out.

I waved to Linda, the rescue volunteer (former owner of Jasper) and she came over with a towel to cover the trap. Arte didn't holler like Houdini did. He pure tee wailed. Arte did holler a little but not like I thought she would.

So then I got the kittens out from under the steps and into the carrier. Linda was very impressed with their overall appearance. She said I must be feeding the mother very well.

I'm not around kittens born in the wild enough to know good, fair, or poor. But I will say my kittens are a rather handsome brood. I'm not biased either, they just are.

Well I knew I might not see them again after Friday, maybe one if a woman I met at the hardware store stays interested. So I went to the den on Thursday for a photo shoot.

Taking pix of 3 week old kittens is like taking pix of worms on hot ashes. I finally just picked them up one by one and took a mug shot.

Rest assured I am **not** squeezing them through my hands like toothpaste, but it does look like it.

Here's Mama coming out to see what's up

Here is the whole litter in a cat food box.

One of the blackies

The other blackie maybe. They are identical to me.

The tabbies

And now the mug shots, remember, they were in no pain. I promise. And each one is different, no dupes.

I think I just now figured out something about Arte. It's not that she is trying to hog Houdini's food, she likes to eat with company. She kept going over to Houdini's food so I put her bowl next to his food and voilla!! everybody's happy. yaayyyy!!!

I fed the adult cats first on Thursday before I did the kitten photo shoot. Here Houdini is fuming over all the attention the kittens are getting.

Afterwards I put the kittens back in their den and mama had to make sure everything was alright.

I can't remember if I posted these pix but pfffft, can you post cute kittens too much? Of course not!!!. Silly question!

Here's a couple of vids, Artemis cleaning her baby, Houdini hunting birds and squirrels in a tree. He actually posed for me.

Well, as you should know I've had some possum problems lately, possums make Roswell edgy and all round out of sorts. I shot a possum a few weeks ago, .22cal rifle which was risky in town but he was squarely lined up with a huuuuge pecan tree.

Nothing but wood behind and around him so - bam!! end of problem. So I thought. Days later, possum # 2 arrives on the scene. I didn't like killing the first one but a remedy is a remedy.

I borrowed a trap from a friend, not a trap for cats, for possums. They are identical except to those who have discerning noses.

I drove him well out of town and released him. He was as happy to go as I was for him to leave.

These guys go through life dressed for Halloween all year round. hahahaha

I came home one day and Roz came trotting down the street with something in her mouth and whining the most distressed whine I ever heard.

It was a bird. She started to pluck the feathers out but her demeanor was like somebody peeling the aluminum foil off a red hot baked potato.

By the time I got the camera she was in the bushes. As soon as she tossed it in my direction and I snickered, either that or touching it made her not want it. Talk about finicky.

I even tried to serve it up to her with her supper as desert but she would have none of it. Now, who can turn down a plate like this? Who? Who?

Roswell Helly can that's who. She ate her cat food and left the bird.

area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*big hugs* At least they will be well cared for by Linda.

I do love the mug shots Smile

Thanks for posting the vids. I particular love the grooming one - I've always liked to watch cats grooming themselves, I find it enchanting. I love the way the little one wriggles but mummy doesn't seem to take a blind bit of notice and continues:)

You know, I don't think I've ever seen a possum before. Strange looking things. Re guns - weren't you worried that the noise would alarm the neighbours? I suppose you could have said it was a fire work Very Happy

aalpha

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: gunfire. OSOK - One Shot One Kill, it only took one shot and a .22 rifle isn't that loud. It's nothing like a deer rifle or a .357 hand gun. It was late enough no one was outside but me and if push had come to shove "What gun shot, officer? I haven't heard a thing." Rolling Eyes

area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any kitty updates of late? Have you heard anything from the kittens or mummy?

aalpha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artemis was spayed Sunday. I'll be able to pick her up next Sunday afternoon. I went to see the kittens last Tuesday and tried to get some pics and vids. The guest room has an overhead light but it either didn't have all the bulbs in it or the bulb(s) were too weak.

The room was too dark and the pix were either dark or washed out by the flash. Here's the best one of the pix. There will be a much more better kitty update next week. I found a couple of pix in the internal memory of a camera of the calico cat I showed you way back.

There will be new pix of all the cats. And a new cat or two. For now here's the best kitten pic. click it for the close ups. Oh, the date on the pic is wrong. Should be the 17th.

And the best of the washed out ones.

aalpha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't pick up Artemis Sunday, she was on some sort of medication because she was squinting most of the week after being spayed. I'm expecting to pick her up around lunch time today.

So far no takers on the kittens. They'll stay with Linda.

I'll post my update soon. I have some pix on my phone that have been piling up.

aalpha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I posted the double post above and promised to do an update a few things have popped up to take my time. One I started to work today at E*M*C* a half a week early. The other was a lost cat, I'd call her a kitten, since 3Dec09

She is 6 to 7 months old and she came my way via neighbors who thought she was mine. I finally found her an exceptional home which became certain for sure Wednesday evening.

An employee at a local animal hospital fell in love with her when I took her in to see if she had a "home again" chip implanted. No chip.

I am putting together a mega photo update not all of which will be cats. **grins to self** Maybe 15 out of nearly 300 pix aren't cats but hey, what do you expect?

Here's the kitty who will be called "Snickers." Nuts on the the inside, sweet on the outside. It's perfect. I kept this little sweetie in my house in a carrier most of the time, but I let her out for hours at the time with doors closed to the carpets and upholstery.

She is nuts inside for sure. Krazy Kat. . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Pictures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: