Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Refi

Bookmark this site!
Celebrity version of shows

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 7651
Location: To the right of my computer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Celebrity version of shows Reply with quote

Was at a friend's house and as I walked past the TV, they had some Celebrity version of Family Fortunes I gathered that it was at a very important stage, if one person had got something right, then 30,000 would be given to the celeb's chosen charity.

If however, the question was wrong, they'd only give 10,000 to charity.

It wasn't looking good.

Now, ITV are quite capable of donating 30,000 to a charity. Otherwise, it wouldn't be offered as a prize would it?

So imagine a gameshow, where you too can send 30,000 pounds of relief aid to Africa ( for example ) you could save thousands of babies dying in Africa, all you had to do was answer a simple question.

What is the airspeed of an unladen swallow? you're asked.

Because you're a bit Monty Python challenged due to you believing that all media is lies, you've become a bit disjointed from real world events and culture, or you swore never to watch another Python film again since Life Of Brian and so you get the answer wrong.

So, the gameshow host in all their cheesy smiling curmudgeonly, tells you what all those African Babies could of won.

The audience go 'awwwwww' and you're swiftly removed from the stage, and the gameshow host continues, let's see who we've got on next week... ....All in the name of entertainment.

Do you really think that this is entertainment? - a Media Broadcasting Company making people go through trials and tribulations to try to rack up 'points' so they can see how much money they can build up to give to a charity?

Well excuse me while my heart bleeds for those people who are trying, but surely shouldn't it be 'ITV has given 30,000 to an African charity' because they wanted to ? - not it was how hard someone worked on some gameshow for entertainment.

What if they had worked really hard? - oh that's 50,000 then. It's for charity! - charities need as much as what they can get, it shouldn't be an amount decided on someone's ability to do various tasks, what if they are lacking in certain areas? - should that charity be penalised?

Why has no one yet realised that ITV are in effect saying 'We were going to give 30,000 to a charity, but because they got a question wrong, we're not now'

Does that strike you as being uncharitable ?

Or have I got it wrong?

Is this barbaric entertainment what passes for television these days?
_________________
I should update my sig. What to put here for $CurrentYear ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess


Joined: 08 Jul 2005
Posts: 10598
Location: East Yorkshire, England

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

monty wrote:
Is this barbaric entertainment what passes for television these days?


You haven't watched ' I'm a Celebrity' have you? Now that is barbaric entertainment and people watch it! And enjoy it! It's been on a few times in the pub and I've just had to walk away because I couldn't watch it! *Shudders*

python wrote:
What if they had worked really hard? - oh that's 50,000 then. It's for charity! - charities need as much as what they can get, it shouldn't be an amount decided on some one's ability to do various tasks, what if they are lacking in certain areas? - should that charity be penalised?


I've often wondered this. When I worked at a hotel, many years ago, there were often charity dinners on, where rich people got dressed up in very expensive dresses, got their hair done professionally at a designer stylist and ate a stupidly high priced 4 course meal, drank champagne and gave a few quid to a raffle of which the proceeds went to charity. Now, I thought, instead of all the fanciness, why not just give all that wasted money straight to the charity?! It would make far more sense to me!

I love the way you say 'as I walked past the TV' like you were innocently walking past and you really didn't mean to lower yourself to watching the TV Wink
_________________
Helen, the Administratrix of www.area51newmexico.com

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 7651
Location: To the right of my computer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Club sandwich deli wrote:

You haven't watched ' I'm a Celebrity' have you? Now that is barbaric entertainment and people watch it! And enjoy it! It's been on a few times in the pub and I've just had to walk away because I couldn't watch it! *Shudders*


My sympathies, but no i've not watched ITV's remake of the Spanish Inquisition.

Prawn and cress Deli wrote:

I've often wondered this. When I worked at a hotel, many years ago, there were often charity dinners on, where rich people got dressed up in very expensive dresses, got their hair done professionally at a designer stylist and ate a stupidly high priced 4 course meal, drank champagne and gave a few quid to a raffle of which the proceeds went to charity. Now, I thought, instead of all the fanciness, why not just give all that wasted money straight to the charity?! It would make far more sense to me!


Something tells me this is just something to massage their conscience.

Rich tit : I want to go out in public and show off that i'm considerably richer than others.

Other rich tit : You can't flaunt it like you could in the old days, you have to look like you're doing it for that charity thing these days, I know don't they have those jumble sales these days?

Rich tit : Oh yeah! those things that the great unwashed have on our lovely green where we play croquet? yes, we'll have one of those it'll look good anyway.

It's a bit like that carbon offset nonsense that's going about as well. A good parody I found was the 'bad code offset' where programmers can give money to this company to 'excuse' their bad code.

http://codeoffsets.com/





Spicy quorn deli wrote:

I love the way you say 'as I walked past the TV' like you were innocently walking past and you really didn't mean to lower yourself to watching the TV Wink


But I did! I did!
_________________
I should update my sig. What to put here for $CurrentYear ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Effex-Media Web Resources
Design by SkaidonDesigns | Distributed by Olate
 
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse