Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Open Prisons?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Open Prisons? Reply with quote

In the last few weeks there have been a number of reported 'escapes' by dangerous criminals like murders & rapists from open prisons. (if you don't believe me see here and here. Now I thought open prisons were for non violent offenders like shopliffers but obviously not.

So are 'open prisons' a good idea? Do they still have a purpose? If so, who should be placed in them? If not, should they be scrapped and are their any alternatives? Do other countries have these?

On a side note, the Terry Pratchett book 'The Last Continent', in XXXX (a country nothing like Australia) they place all politicans in jail as soon as they are elected as this saves time.

aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who comes up with such mutually contradictive terms as "open" and "prison"? Petty criminals who need to learn a lesson need to be put in "closed" "jails." The rest should go to "closed" "prisons." Period.

{Edited by moi} I just read your articles not because I doubted the validity of your post, I couldn't stand the curiosity of what kind of language - grammar and syntax and all that - would report such a thing.

sacré bleu!!! They used "closed jails"!!!! I thought that would be a foreign concept for dealing with criminals.

But now I'm really scared. The family of the man who was beat and stabbed to death is hoping this little escape escapade - see what I did there? - will impact the killer's future "parole situation."

WTF??WTF??WTF??WTF??WTF??WTF??WTF??WTF??

pickle
Forum Champion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps they have ran out of room in the 'closed' prisons?! Overcrowding!
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't heard of open prisons until the stories of escape were released into the public so I have decided to do a bit a research what was involved:

It's a doddle really

If the reports are to be believed, it seems not bad really. Not that much different from living anywhere else! You go to work, come home. Rinse and repeat. But free rent!

aalpha

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, prisons and jails should be so inhospitable to the human senses that self respecting people would do all in their power not to end up there. pfffft!!! We live in a f**ked up world.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aalpha wrote:
IMHO, prisons and jails should be so inhospitable to the human senses that self respecting people would do all in their power not to end up there. pfffft!!! We live in a f**ked up world.

My opinion as well. But unfortunately, The Moral Right Brigade have taken over pretty much every aspect of lives bleating the EU Charter On Human Rights to protect criminals from getting what's due to them.
aalpha

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Moral Right Brigade should register with couchsurfing dot com and offer couch space to open criminals. Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Current Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: