Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Don't know what to do...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alienator
Oh Perfect One

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Don't know what to do... Reply with quote

Please help...I need some advice!

When I started at the company I work for I only worked the odd shifts because of uni but I hated the job because of a women I worked with...she likes to be in control & act like she is boss...so I decided to look for another job...fortunately a full time job came up in another department that I applied for & got. It came at the right time as I had just finished Uni & the wedding was just around the corner. My boss now asked if I was sure if I wanted the job & explained to him that I was unhappy & the reason for. I've now been working in this department for 3 years & lately a few changes have been made...my boss has had this women I originally worked with over in my department working with me...yet again she is trying to be controlling & doesn't listen to a word I say. Thankfully its only been whilst we have been busy but I feel that my boss should have spoken to me about it before making any decisions. When she is over in my department I get so stressed (which I could do without especially as I am pregnant) but no one seems to care. I then find out today that she is possibly moving over to my department for good...I am really annoyed & feel like I want to leave the company. The other week she was helping me, I almost walked out & drove home in tears Sad

Am I just being horrible or is this a serious matter that my boss & others should consider?

I really don't know what to do Sad
Vagilik
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well out in the states we have a process for people that get on our nerves...complaining, but it really doesn't get far because people really play favorites.

So what we do is just ignore it if we really like our job and get over it. being you are preggo, though, you might want to seek other alternatives.
Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your company have a grievance procedure? - this will probably be laid out in the staff handbook that you got when you first joined. I'm sure it'll be documented elsewhere also what to do if you have a grievance to bring against someone.

Usually, they involve first contacting your immediate boss, and then how to take things on from there.

Does your company have a HR department? - I think I heard or read somewhere that a company over a certain size has to have one ( or at least, have someone who acts as a HR dept )

I don't think you're being horrible. Yes, we might all have people we don't like at work, I have a friend who tells me about her day at work and already I know from the mention of various people's names that it will not end well, but she is more than able to give as good as she gets. You leaving work in tears is a matter that does need sorting as that's gone beyond 'a bad day at the office'.

I think i'm a pretty laid back person and I like to believe that I am a friend to all ( no, honestly! I am in real life, I just mess about most of the time on here ).
Not much gets under my skin but people who are controlling are one of my biggest hates.

You've already noticed they don't listen to others, they believe whatever they think is right and everyone else is wrong which is a poor attitude to take, these type of people usually end up running others into the ground which is one of many reasons why I hate them.

Bring this up first with your boss, point out that in the intervening time between you having worked with her ( Little Hitler ) before and now, nothing has changed ( this should cut off any 'you're just being emotional because you're pregnant comments ) because you're referring to an event that happened long ago.

If your boss doesn't do anything, then start gathering evidence for them. Keep a word document or suchlike ( you can password protect word documents if you feel the need ) and log every event you feel should be mentioned from now on. Give a short description of what happened. You can present this as further evidence, perhaps keep a backup yourself of it on a usb stick perhaps yourself.

If your boss is still unwilling to do anything, then contact ACAS
http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1953

Now, this may sound a bit 'serious' and you perhaps don't want to go 'that far' because you believe this will cause more problems than it'll solve. Please be aware they aren't just there for when everything else has broken down. True, that's what they do as well but they are there for the lesser serious things as well. They would be much better placed, i'm sure this type of issue comes up much more often than what you'd believe and they will know more accurately how to resolve it.
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*hugs* that's not a nice experience to have to deal with.

As Minty says, your first port of call should be your line manager. It might be worth putting the complain in writing as they can't deny it then. Write down specific examples of events that have taken place which have upset you. If they don't do anything about it, move up to the next level of management.

Failing that do what I did and call an employment solicitor (or Citzens Advice or similar service) and threaten them with legal action.

aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You told your boss about your original circumstances so I don't know how productive it will be to address anything again with him.

But I would try to have 5 minute meeting with him and re-explain how this woman tries to control not just her own environment but those around her whether she is in charge or not.

Try to determine who has seniority and to what extent he is willing to let her run things over and above people who have been in an area for several years when she is the last one in the door, so to speak.

She may have seniority over you as far as employment goes but if she never worked in your area except as a temporary fill-in, you should not have to take orders from her.

If you and your boss can agree to all that, then he needs to paint the picture for her and if he isn't willing to do it he should be willing to back you up so you can do it.

I would try this first then pursue the grievance committee thing. I'm not fond of grievance committees as they always seem to be rigged in the wrong direction - doesn't seem matter who is involved.That's IMHO.

Good luck. Very Happy

alienator
Oh Perfect One

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your comments & input, I have found it all very helpful.

I found out today that my boss is not happy with the decisions that have been made, he was only expecting this women to be over temp until someone else more suitable is found but they have taken the easy way out & made it very hard on my boss & myself.

One thing that made me laugh today though was that this women told me she didn't want to be working in my department...i thought to myself "well bugger off back over to your room then" hehe

Yes we do have an HR manager but to be honest she is bloody useless & is leaving the company soon too.

So I have decided to give it until after x mas...if I am still not happy then take it further if need be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: