Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Info please
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Info please Reply with quote

Do any of you know anything about thingies called "torrents?" I've heard "bit torrents" and "utorrents."

According to what I was told you're suppose to be able to download expensive software with registration keys, movies - like before they are released to the theatres etc., etc.

True? Reliable? What it be, bros??

stalker
Forum Champion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's just a method of peer-to-peer file transfer - can be used for genuine legal files (a lot os linux ISOs are distributed this way) - there are also lots of copyright files being exchanged this way too..

uTorrent is software that uses the bittorent prototcol to connect to a "tracker" which maintains the state of which user has which part of the file so that your software can connect to other peers to download..

to kick off a download you download a ".torrent" file from a website such as www.isohunt.com, then uTorrent just does the rest for you...
AVARiCE
Lowering the Tone Since 2005

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the 21st Century aalpha, we've even ditched the horse-drawn carriages! Razz

stalker's nailed it but feel free to ask more questions if you want more details.

~ AVARiCE

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So nice to be here, yes. I'm particularly interested in this because I have the Oxford University Press CD ROM Oxford English Dictionary which has been totally useless to me for a couple of years now.

I didn't know I couldn't install it as often as I needed to but apparently they have the same anal DRM fantasy so many others have. Like Rosetta Stone, Apple, etc.

I bought OED ver.2 myself which scared $300 maybe even $400 dollars to death. Then my parents bought me the ver.3 upgrade which was another $125 so all in all we spent $400 - $500 bucks on a software program that may as well be shotgun practice.

Now thanks to my new friend Torrance I have version 4. And I can reload it every day if I need to. yeah, yeah, it won't be necessary but *IF* I had to I can.

I'm also helping myself to some Latin American Spanish, Levels 1, 2, and 3. That stuff costs $400 - $700 and you only get to install it twice. Right. . . . .!!!

Inglorious Bastards is next.

AVARiCE
Lowering the Tone Since 2005

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.peerblock.com/

Also, uTorrent.

And be careful. America doesn't like tahrentz.

~ AVARiCE
Forum Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use www.btjunkie.org, it gives user feedback, allowing you to spot viruses and quality copies by way of other's errors.
aalpha

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVARiCE wrote:
http://www.peerblock.com/

Also, uTorrent.

And be careful. America doesn't like tahrentz.

~ AVARiCE

μTorrent is the client I'm using. I like the "About μTorrent" block under the Help menu. It says "Thank you for using this FREE program. We hope you like it. If you paid for it, get a refund!"

Thanks for the tips - AV and Whuf.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aalpha wrote:

So nice to be here, yes. I'm particularly interested in this because I have the Oxford University Press CD ROM Oxford English Dictionary which has been totally useless to me for a couple of years now.

You're American, the English language has been useless to you for about 300 years Laughing

Centre
Aluminium
Armour
Colour

You get the picture Razz

aalpha wrote:

I didn't know I couldn't install it as often as I needed to but apparently they have the same anal DRM fantasy so many others have. Like Rosetta Stone, Apple, etc.

Because you're obviously going to pirate it and make millions of copies of it. You've just walked into the shop to buy it, and already you're accused of being a thief.

There was a big thing that appeared a year or so ago on Amazon where a shit game ( aka Spore ) was DRM infected to 3 installs or something pants and so any game that was infected with DRM was mass voted down.

Found this on it Smile

http://reclaimyourgame.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=248:ea-qsurprisedq-about-reaction-to-spore-drm&catid=12:securom-news&Itemid=20

http://reclaimyourgame.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=249:ryg-to-the-ftc&catid=15:take-action&Itemid=96

And in defence of the DRM sellers themselves

http://reclaimyourgame.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=390:in-defense-of-drm-vendors&catid=20:archive&Itemid=37

Last edited by Lamiaceae on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
aalpha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first read Minty's post I never looked to the left to see who wrote it. I just thought "that's so typical AV, cracking on my yankee English."

Then I looked at "New Posts Since Last Visit" and saw where Minty put his 2˘ worth in so I eagerly click to see what he had to say and lo and behold I just read it. hahahahahahaha

See how easy it is to get you two arseholes mixed up? Razz Laughing Razz Laughing Razz Laughing

Ilovearea51
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a big time piracy and torrneter. I am a member of http://stardotrng.wordpress.com/2009/01/13/iptorrents-my-favorite-private-tracker/ and own 4 seedboxes currently. I donwload about 100-200gb of data and seed like crazy there. Smile Im also a mod on a warezfourm.

uTorrent is the best torrent Software. Torrents are reliable if you know where to look, and who to look for. For DVDRips, I normally look for aXXo. For games, I normally look For Razor1911, or similar release groups. I am in more to the p2p scene than the warez scene. Private trackers such as IPtorrents realese the movies the fastest, such as the Sherlock Holmes DVDScr etc. Before I became a member I used Thepiratebay, or you could always use speed.cd, but you have to keep a good ratio there.

If your too afraid of getting caught, just go to a warezforum, such as warez-bb or warezfourm.info.

Overall, yes they are reliable. Yes they are trustable. If you know what your doing and where to look. If your extra careful like me, you shell out a few bucks for a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seedbox

Last edited by Ilovearea51 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
aalpha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humor me like you would any n00b. How exactly does one get caught?

Ilovearea51
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aalpha wrote:
Humor me like you would any n00b. How exactly does one get caught?

A company releases a "fake torrent" with a tracker in it. That tracker your download/uploading from reports YOUR ip address back to them. They call your ISP, and your ISP calls you. Iv'e seen it happen to people before, and one time my seedbox got shut down for downloading Harry potter books. The ISP may warn you the first time, you can always make up the exuse my router was unsecured. But if repeated abuse happens, or the company tries to press charges on you, your ISP will no longer provide internet service to you.

Edit: Really all this is on wikipedia, but I can see youd like to see our views too. Smile This is just my experince in my 3-6 years in illegal downloading.
Forum Champion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ilovearea51 wrote:
...Before I became a member I used Thepiratebay

ahhh maybe will someone understand why i thought this photo i took in upminster is funny then....

They had been closed down too lol

aalpha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would think ISPs can monitor their own traffic and tell who's naughty or nice.

Yeah, your pic reminded my of a question I sorta dreaded asking - "How much policing is going on out there with sites named PirateBay or with Torrent anywhere in the name?

You would think some one would get a copy of µTorrent and track *them* down.

Any way so far so good. I've prob got all I'm going to want.

Ilovearea51
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISPS can monitor anything you do, unless you wanted to be extra careful and get a VPN just for torrenting Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: