Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
A little give and take

View previous topic :: View next topic  
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: A little give and take Reply with quote

A friend of mine has bi-polar disorder. When he's in a good mood, he's a great guy - really fun to be around. However, when he's on his downs, he's angry, rude and shouty. Many people in the circle of friends make allowances for his behaviour ("he's having a bad day") as it's not entirely his fault due to his condition. But how far should this allowance go? How much can friends and family put up?

How much allowance would you give someone's behaviour/actions if it's due to a disorder or something that is out of their control?

Vagilik
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriend has this disorder. One of the main reasons we've been off and on for 4 years. Just recently (I'd say within the last year or so) she finally went and saw someone about it and they gave her medication for it. For a while she was acting a lot better and then she's back to her old self now. she fights with herself in her head because she doesn't know what she wants and it makes her act out.

Now some of it I can understand, but I know she can be civil most of the time; I've seen it happen. So I don't know what it is, but IMO I think she is just using her condition as a crutch every time she wants to act out and have her way and be hostile, etc.

So all in all I say it can be controlled for the most part, I wouldn't take too much of it outside an occasional mishap or slight behavior down.

Hope that helps!
Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one blames him for his condition, he cannot be judged on that front, and this is perhaps where everyone cuts him some slack.

Also it's pretty hard to have a view on someone who's condition relative to them I know little about, as everything I say is based on my own random trains of thought and not on anything specific to them. This is unfair in my opinion.

However...

Does he help himself? - is he prescribed any medication to help control his mood swings? lithium for example? - he wont be as manic ( extra happy ) but at least he won't be as depressive when he's having one of his off days.

Not saying that he doesn't, maybe this is him under his effects of medication and without he'd be even worse, just a thought that's all.

Let me put it another way. I know a few people who are epileptic, and if and when they have their fits no one will mind helping them when they've stopped and help them clean up.

If however, you find out they haven't been taking their medication to prevent these fits, would you still feel the same sense of charity cleaning up after them?

I know someone who due to a car accident cannot control their anger easily, and things build up with him before the smallest of things set them off, and then torrents of anger ( perhaps stored up over many weeks ) explode like a volcano, 20 minutes later they are as if nothing ever happened and due to having little short term memory and concept of time cannot recall ever having done anything wrong.

This is not their fault, and so far his girlfriend is happy to put up with his outbursts as the good times outweigh the bad.
But despite her attempts at trying to get him to behave better things have remained the same. She now accepts that *this is how it will always be, because that's him* and has said that there will come a day when she will of had enough, his temper is not fair on her and it is her who bears the brunt of it ( though she is more than capable of dealing with him ) she shouldn't have to in the first place.

Perhaps a more informed charity could be found here?

http://www.mind.org.uk/
aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no Doctor but I think bi-polar disorders often lead to some degree of violence or at least have the potential of becoming violent. For that reason I'd want to steer clear of this person.

Not that it's his fault, but because tigers do what tigers do you don't get in the cage with them. Crocodiles do what crocodiles do so you don't swim with them. It's not their fault - they are being who they are.

Likewise you have to be who/what you are. Aware of who/what is in your sphere and act upon it.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was driving to work today when I heard a advert on the radio about abuse in relationships.

The advert was this young girl telling someone else about her boyfriend.

It started off like any other person telling you something but then it started to show why he wasn't good.

How he always was calling her or checking up on her 'because he cared' or was worried, and that he 'lost it' sometimes by shouting and screaming, but she defends him by saying 'he's always really nice to me afterwards'

The advert finished by another voice cutting in saying 'abuse, can you see it ?' - before it went on to tell you for more information search online for 'abuse in relationships'

And it made me think of this thread.

Just because it's given a different name, or presented differently, doesn't change what it is underneath.

Therefore living with someone regardless of what they do, if they act in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable, then that is abuse.

Just because someone is mentally unbalanced doesn't change or excuse their actions.

If these people are 'losing it' and they make you feel intimidated, then they need help, or if they already have help they need more of it.

If they refuse help, then they are always going to be like this and you must consider your own welbeing first.

Abuse seems to be ignored or excused especially if the abuse is mental ( where the person immediately defends the abuser and their actions)
http://www.helpguide.org/mental/domestic_violence_abuse_types_signs_causes_effects.htm

I decided to do what the advert said anyway, and found a few articles which merely echoed sentiments across the various age ranges.

Quote:

Healthy relationships involve respect, trust, and consideration for the other person. Sadly, lots of relationships don't have these qualities — and many turn abusive. In fact, 1 in 11 high school students report being physically hurt by a date.

People in abusive relationships sometimes mistake the abuse for intense feelings of caring or concern. It can even seem flattering. Think of a friend whose boyfriend or girlfriend is insanely jealous: Maybe it seems like your friend's partner really cares. But actually, excessive jealousy and controlling behavior are not signs of affection at all. Love involves respect and trust; it doesn't mean constantly worrying about the possible end of the relationship.

http://kidshealth.org/teen/your_mind/relationships/abuse.html

Emotional abuse is another way of bringing someone down and making them feel bad.

Quote:

This is when your boyfriend or girlfriend puts you down, ignores you or calls you names. It may be about what you are wearing, or how you're acting. They may want you to stop spending time with your friends and question you on every detail of what you've done without them. They may use jealousy or anger to intimidate you or to control your behaviour, or might deliberately humiliate you in front of others. They might try to manipulate you and make you feel wrong, inadequate or like you're crazy. Another form of emotional abuse is if they threaten to hurt themselves or other people if you break up with them. Emotional abuse can be just as damaging as physical abuse.

http://www.dvirc.org.au/whenlove/infospace.htm

This site has a chart that lists the various things an emotional abuser would do
http://www.musc.edu/vawprevention/research/defining.shtml

Therefore helping to highlight what is emtional abuse.

Though it might look a bit heavy going, the actual chart ( scroll down a bit ) is quite clear.

It appears that this is a new campaign going out to warn teenagers of abusers.

Though just because this is aimed at teenagers does not mean that's where abuse starts and stops.

http://press.homeoffice.gov.uk/press-releases/abuse-teenage-relationships.html
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/about-us/news/teenage-relationship-abuse.html

No doubt abuse will still go on though as those being abused jump to the defence of their second worst enemy after themselves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: