Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Dying to meet ya!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Dying to meet ya! Reply with quote

Stephen Hawking, the renowned astrophysicist, warns over making contact with aliens - if they exist. He believes that they wouldn't be the kinda folk you'd want to take home to meet your parents.

What do you reckon? Should we try to contact other life forms? Should we avoid them at all costs or should we wait for them to call us?

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...

A few thoughts from another person first

Arthur C. Clarke wrote:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Arthur_C._Clarke

Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.

I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here.

As our own species is in the process of proving, one cannot have superior science and inferior morals. The combination is unstable and self-destroying.

One of the biggest roles of science fiction is to prepare people to accept the future without pain and to encourage a flexibility of mind. Politicians should read science fiction, not westerns and detective stories.

Another 'conspiracy/theory' is that to be able to 'travel amongst the stars' you need to be more 'sociable'.

As a species we are yet to attain that level of respect and so cannot progress our science to a level needed.

Other species would be much happier with us destroying ourselves than to start jumping about all of existence with our immature antics bringing democracy to other places etc.

Once we've got the 'kinks' out of our system, and like a child growing up eventually we become able to do the things grown ups can.

On the grand scale of things, as a race we're still quite young and throwing our toys out of the pram.

And besides, it's perhaps a bit late now, I hear we're making quite a lot of 'radio noise' with our television broadcasts etc that it'd be pretty hard to miss us if people were listening.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Aliens & Conspiracies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: