Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Working Parents

View previous topic :: View next topic  
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Working Parents Reply with quote

When you were growing up, did your mum and dad/other parent figures work? If so, did they work part-time or full time?

Do you think the parent's work affects how kids grow up (health, education, future prospects etc)? It's a debate my boyfriend and I keep having at the moment! (not that we are planning or anything!)

Also, this article made me think of the topic.

When I was little, my mum worked part time (nights and weekends) and my dad worked full time 9-5 so they shared the babysitting duties. I think it worked out well.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Working Parents Reply with quote

area51newmexico wrote:

When you were growing up, did your mum and dad/other parent figures work? If so, did they work part-time or full time?

Mum stopped working until I went to school so she could look after me full time. She believed that it would be better (Oh how so many people could make comments here Very Happy )

To cover her drop in wage, my dad went onto the night shift ( as nights were better paid ).

Brussel Sprout wrote:

Do you think the parent's work affects how kids grow up (health, education, future prospects etc)?

We look up to our parents and seek to emulate them as they form our earliest role models ( i'd of thought anyway )

If the child is passed about from babysitter to babysitter and no routine is kept would that effect a specific person to emulate? - I don't know, just thinking out loud.

Brocoli wrote:

It's a debate my boyfriend and I keep having at the moment! (not that we are planning or anything!)

Of course you aren't. But how many conversations have gone down that route of 'i'm not testing the water at all honest... but if we were to...' Wink

As for the article suggesting that I should now be eating junk food ( as my mum stopped at home ) i'd say it's laughable as I hardly eat junk food, i'm apparently the correct weight for my height ( sometimes I fall under that though due to me being always on the move ) - even at work, I have to keep getting up and going off somewhere as I can't just stay sat still, I have to go for a mad blast down the stairs to another building and then run back up 3 flights of stairs again.

It always costs more to feed your child junk food than to cook properly, and although I am 1 and this survey was based on the findings of 4,500 people are you sure you're not making the logical error of correlation does not imply causation ( though yes it can still be a strong hint )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

Have these women had better upbringings themselves, are they less/more active, do they go out down to the park to feed the ducks, etc...

In closing, we've lived for millions of years as a species without getting it too wrong, do we really need to over analyse parenting, something that comes sooooo naturally to every other species on the planet ?
aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole matter was summed up nicely by this:

"A lot of the time when you look at the actual statistical differences in these studies, they are really quite small. We see associations, but not necessarily causes," says Prof Heather Joshi, head of the Centre for Longitudinal Studies at the Institute of Education.

"All parents should perhaps derive comfort from the fact that what these studies really demonstrate is that there are no clear relationships and conclusive answers - that there is not a one-size-fits-all policy.

"Everybody needs to think carefully about what is right for them and their children, and be prepared to change if it is not working out. You play it by ear."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Customs & Culture All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: