Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
What pisses you off most?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: What pisses you off most? Reply with quote

I've been thinking:

People who do not learn from their mistakes and keep making the same the same or people who make mistakes but aren't 'man' enough to admit to them?

For me, it's the latter. Everyone makes them so why be embarrased or defensive about it? Why blame someone else?

BubbleCum
Forum Queen 2007

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who can't spell. And people who use disabilities/problems etc as an excuse to not even try to do things that they are perfectly able to... There are so many more that piss me off...
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me , it is people that will not take responsibility for their own actions.

If you make a mistake, admit it and go on. Do not make excuses and try to shift blame.

Spart Smile Smile
Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What pisses you off most? Reply with quote

area51newmexico wrote:

I've been thinking:

People who do not learn from their mistakes and keep making the same the same or people who make mistakes but aren't 'man' enough to admit to them?

For me, it's the latter. Everyone makes them so why be embarrased or defensive about it? Why blame someone else?

The latter for me as well.

Mistakes are a learning process. We all make them, most people think 'oh bugger!' realise that was perhaps the wrong course of action in that situation and we chalk it up to 'experience' ( good word that is ) and remember for next time.

If we have never been in that situation before, then we are going to take the best course of action we believe is right. If it turns out it's wrong, we have learnt something new and this forms the basis of all forms of learning.

The people who aren't 'man' enough to admit their mistakes have perhaps been 'taught' that making mistakes is 'wrong'.

Perhaps through negative reinforcement

'Oh look what you've gone and done!'
'You've made more work now!'

Perhaps elicits a bad feeling in the person who tried.

This continual 'bad' feeling inflicted on the person who tried would perhaps start to look into ways of avoiding that 'bad' feeling they get and starts to look for ways to shift the blame or does not admit they were at fault, more of a defence mechanism to someone making them feel bad ( who may of been picked at previously by someone else etc )

After a while, they become accustomed to being defensive about mistakes, believing that everyone is out to get them even when they aren't.
The 'instant defence' would push a lot of people away, as not everyone is as anti mistakes as what would be believed.
With a lack of good communication each party comes away with various thoughts going on in their head about the other person and how they just behaved. Without actually talking this through, these misconceptions will remain.

Good relationships between people require good communication. If you're both mature adults, you can both talk to each other and realise neither is blaming the other for imperfections, just what they thought, and anything that may need correcting.

They perhaps might also see mistakes as a loss of status amongst their peers. With enough positive reinforcement this could perhaps be overturned, while it's easy to dislike these types of anti mistake people ( for obvious reasons ) they may just need reassuring that it's ok to make mistakes, everyone makes them.

There's a great line in the film 'Dragnet' with Tom Hanks and Dan Akroyd. Where Tom Hanks character exclaims to Dan Akroyd

'It's called a mistake Friday!, but then I don't suppose you make any of those!'.

Sums it up perfectly.

Repeated chastisement for mistakes is only going to make people feel bad about themselves. If someone is making a mistake then point it out, they will take it all in and learn from it. Which brings me to the first point made.

If this person has a habit of doing something, then breaking that habit may take them a while, so they may not learn the first time, but have faith, they'll get it in the end.

Just my 2p worth.

Last edited by Lamiaceae on Tue May 25, 2010 9:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
stalker
Forum Champion

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incorrect use of apostrophes Smile
Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stalker wrote:
Incorrect use of apostrophes Smile

Then you need *this* !

http://www.angryflower.com/bobsqu.gif

Print it off and give to all your friends!

Though you may end up like this guy http://xkcd.com/710/ if you do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: