Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Injuries

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rach
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Injuries Reply with quote

Events today have set me wondering if any of you have ever been injured and what your experiences of hospital etc were. I say this today because I dislocated my knee - I was just doing some food shoping and my knee popped out of its socket. I was really lucky though as the manager was stood nearby and heard me cry for help and he got me a chair and called an ambulance right away, also there was a nurse shopping at the time and she looked after me until the ambulance came (making an icepack out of a packet of frozen peas and generally calmed me down). The ambulance guys were really nice, they made me feel as comfortable as possible - it was my first ever ride in an ambulance, and also first time on laughing gas (which was surreal - very much like being quite drunk - same lightheaded, giggly feeling). I got to the A&E and was seen to pretty much immediately, the man put my knee back in, and then I had some xrays. A little waiting around but then I was released with knee support and crutches (which I have to use for 3weeks!). Other than today I have only been in hospital once, when I broke my arm but I don't really remember what happened then.

How about you guys? any past experiences of hospitals - how were you treated?

alienator
Oh Perfect One

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am accident prone & have had a few trips to the hospital when I was younger but I don't really remember those trips much!

Another time I had to go to hospital was when I dislocated my thumb at football training as I was a goalkeeper...my thumb dug into the ground upright. No one at training seemed to care & I had to continue until the end & then when mum picked me up she took me straight to A&E...I waited about an hour to see the triage nurse who sent me off for xrays straight away...then the long wait was ahead to have it bandaged up...i think we waited about 2 & half hours & still hadn't been called in...they somehow thought a women who had only strained her thumb was more impirtant then me...so I told the receptionist I am going home to bandage it myself...she told me I wasn't allowed so we waited a further hour & still not been called in so we just walked out...I have never rated our A&E department at all.
Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't broken anything yet ( touches wood... and no Bubble... not that type of wood )

So my body tries to make up for me by inflicting various wounds on itself.

I've had a hernia when I was a toddler, that was fun, I had to stay in over night and I wanted a cot to stay in as opposed to a proper bed... great days because I used to enjoy my time in the play pen and I didn't want to go home Very Happy

Other times i've been in, i've always been seen quickly Smile - can't remember a bad time that i've ever had at Lincs County ?
Rach
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky at the QMC the other day as I was seen pretty quickly. The standard of hospitals does seem to vary quite a lot - the Nottingham QMC is really good and so is Winchester (they have always looked after my gran really well) and it sounds like Lincoln is a good hospital as well, but I am shocked by the treatment alienator got (or rather didn't get).

alienator
Oh Perfect One

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rach wrote:
I was lucky at the QMC the other day as I was seen pretty quickly. The standard of hospitals does seem to vary quite a lot - the Nottingham QMC is really good and so is Winchester (they have always looked after my gran really well) and it sounds like Lincoln is a good hospital as well, but I am shocked by the treatment alienator got (or rather didn't get).

Our local hospital has moved their A&E department to another hospital which is about 30 mins journey from there but have kept a minor injury department open, I had to rush my husband there because he chopped a chunk of his thumb off on a veg slicer Crying or Very sad The service we got was brilliant & was treated very well...but yes the treatment I got when I went in was pants...
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ekkk! I hope you're ok Rach. That sounds really quite nasty! Good to hear everyone looked after you well.

I've only been in hospital the once when I had my appendix removed when I was 11. It all happened so fast. On the Tuesday morning I went to the doctor with stomach pains and that afternoon, I was having the operation! Can't fault the nurses, they did a great job looking after me. Good old NHS.

aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not broken any bones but when I was 10 I caught a sick bat and when I tried to make it comfortable it bit me on my finger. That involved a round of rabies shots.

Then at age 11 (nearly 12) I was fishing on a pier on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. My hands were slick from handling shrimp we used for bait and I went to stick our knife in the wood bench.

The knife had no hilt and my slick fist slid down the blade. I had my thumb on the top of the handle but it wasn't enough. I cut all four fingers and severed the tendon in my little finger.

Next came the surgery and tendon graft. Had to hold my right hand up like the Maneki Neko Kitty for 6 weeks, and secure my forearm to a post clamped to my bed frame.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: