Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
What's your background?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: What's your background? Reply with quote

Where do your parents/grandparents/great-grandparents come from? Most people have some exotic blood in them from faraway places - particularly if you're from America, Canada, Australia etc. I don't however, my dad side is from West Yorks and me mum's side is from East Yorkshire and if you go back about 500 years, they are from a farming village in Norfolk.

I've always been interested in human and family history and I'm nosey too:D

Rach
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go back through my gran's (dad's mum) side of the family a few hundred years we were an influential family in Scotland.

My mum's granddad and my dad's granddad actually lived in the same village, but then both families moved away (one from the Kent area and one from Sussex).

spartman
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family originated in Norway. Immigrated to the states and spread out to Texas, Oklahoma, and Virginia. I know on my mothers side that there is some from England and Scotland in the mix. I am also part Cherokee Indian from the Oklahoma / Texas part.
Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad's side I'm not sure of, though apparently my surname is based on some Germanic name. So I might end up tracing my history back on my paternal side all the way back to the Third Reic... I mean the land of big loud pompous twits...
German is such a good language to shout at people in and not much else.

While my mum's side we've traced back many hundreds of years and seems to head to Durham and stays there. Will have to dig it out and add it here, it's perhaps not really much to just say that bit.

Nan did most of the legwork, I keep telling myself I really should take up where she left off because she won't be here forever and a very important part and source of information will be lost forever, and i'll only kick myself for not doing as I told myself. I put it down to it not holding enough of a critical mass of interest for me to kick it off, though I fear I will be interested when it's far too late.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Customs & Culture All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: