Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
One Question to God
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: One Question to God Reply with quote

If you could ask God (assuming that He/She exist - we've had this debate before) one question, what would it be?

I'd ask him 'moths: why?!'

stalker
Forum Champion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd ask if he believes in his own creator Wink
Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been listening to Alanis Morissette 'What If God Was One Of Us' ?

She also played 'God' in aalpha's favourite film

Kevin Smith's Dogma

Here's the scene where Bethany realises what's been going on and manages to stop all existence being wiped out by unhooking the old guy's life support.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA3dzBrXYtc

My question would be 'Do you play dice? Einstein said you didn't, but Hawking says you do'

However, I wouldn't need to ask him/her/it this question, as s/he/it would already know what question I wanted to ask.

And s/he/it wouldn't need to speak to me they'd just gift me with the knowledge in the first place.
But because I'd know the answer before asking, my question would change, which would also be known to your 'God'.

Eventually I too would become omnipotent ( answering each and every question instantaneously ) which obviously your 'God' wouldn't like, so to prevent such a thing from happening, your 'God' would just ignore me.
Specter
Forum Champion

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moths exist to maintain a balance in the ecosystem

The belief in a creator is inately inbued within the acknowledgement of the need for creation.

And Minty, Nothing in scripture requires God, to be all knowing, God gave us our free will, and so while it is assumed he has the ability to change the course of things, he cannot predict how things will indefinatly turn out unless he causes them to be so. ( please exxuse the use of the masculine pronoun)

I would ask about the true nature of black holes and other astrological phenomena, since current cosmology doesn't really know how they work it would prove to be ground breaking physics.
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specter wrote:

And Minty, Nothing in scripture requires God, to be all knowing, God gave us our free will, and so while it is assumed he has the ability to change the course of things, he cannot predict how things will indefinatly turn out unless he causes them to be so. ( please exxuse the use of the masculine pronoun)

So it's perfectly plausible then that God can turn around to any of us in this thread and say 'I do not know' ?

I can give that answer to the below then?

Specter wrote:

I would ask about the true nature of black holes and other astrological phenomena, since current cosmology doesn't really know how they work it would prove to be ground breaking physics.

I'm missing something I'm sure Confused

S/he/it is unable to predict events based on a situation, unless his/her/it's hand is guiding the events?

Eg, though s/he/it created everything that 'situation' has been left to grow and that growth cannot be predicted unless he takes the pruning shears to the tree for example ?
Specter
Forum Champion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More or less, I imagine god to have the ability to change things as he wishes but only does so if he believes it ought to be.

What do you believe you are missing?
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My missing thought was that the purpose of this thread was 'if you could get an answer to anything' what would that question be?

I merely extended the thought where if something was that intelligent it would be able to reason something out to the nth degree having seen something since the dawn of time and would therefore be 'all knowing' about all that existed.

Maybe i've been around one too many fudamentalists but...

I've usually been told the story how God is all powerful etc...
All powerful, holds dominion over all things ( and all that jazz )

So throw all that away... and say instead he doesn't know everything. ( I too am going to start using the male pronoun purely because my original post got too confusing catering to all 3 possibilities.
Over centuries of use, this use has somewhat neutered the male pronoun, by all means use whichever alternative you like. )

But using the 'he watches us from above' characteristic i'm always fed as well in my thoughts below

I was watching a television programme once about this guy who was navigating some course without using a compass ( out in the countryside ). He seemed to know which way was north. When asked how, he replied that he was looking at his surroundings and that trees / plants bend towards the sun so could use that to help him.

This guy knew various systems and how they all worked together and how one influenced the other.

Surely then, being given a 'top down' view of the world God has an awful lot of data to arrive at his own conclusions?

Us lowly mortals produce our own 'cash flow forecasts' or use Business Intelligence, is it impossible for god to do the same?

We can study genetics to see if a Down's Syndrome/Spina Bifida ( or whatever ) gene will be passed down.

Therefore, surely it's possible to know what i'm thinking?
I was on an extended weekend away with a few friends last week and we'd gone out for Fish And Chips. I was sat there shaking vinegar from the bottle all over my chips and a noise that sounded like a lot of bananas being peeled *very* quickly emenated from the bottle.

I cracked a small smile in the corner of my mouth but carried on, when I looked up I noticed a friend of mine also smiling, she asked me what I was smiling about but I just replied 'we're thinking the same thing'. At that point the penny dropped for someone else sat at the table and we all had a good laugh at something that was never spoken.

If God can control things as s/he/it sees fit, then that surely is not free will ? it's free will so long as it fits in with god's will / plan ?

I am the person I am purely because it is God's will ? - if it wasn't ( he didn't like it, didn't fit in with his idea of what should happen not part of God's plan ) he'd of changed it.

He's not all knowing unless he wants to be ? is that like an on/off switch? I will be all knowing and all powerful today. Then he goes out drinking with Buddha ( who proceeds to drink God under the table ) and God thinks I wont be all powerful today, and so switches it off?

Surely, to be able to is just as good? - here is a on/off switch labelled magic/more magic this switch is therefore magic?

I no doubt fail at philosophy/theology/logic and anything else you can use to reason this one out, but the only way to develop is to exercise it.
AVARiCE
Lowering the Tone Since 2005

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Why?"

~ AVARiCE
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if there was nothing before you created everything, who created the nothing you started in?

or where did you come from?

if you have always been here who created here for you to be here, and where were you before here was created for you to be here to begin with?

http://wideopenracing.easyphpbb.com/index.php
Rach
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was almost expecting someone else to have posted this already - how about askign for the ultimate question of life the universe and everything, so that we know what 42 means...http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/hitchhikers/guide/answer.shtml

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rach wrote:
I was almost expecting someone else to have posted this already - how about askign for the ultimate question of life the universe and everything, so that we know what 42 means...http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/hitchhikers/guide/answer.shtml

I did think the same but we already know what 42 means

It's what do you get if you multiply 6 by 9

*Waits for someone to put their foot in it*.
Ilovearea51
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ask him.

"Why me?"
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ilovearea51 wrote:
I would ask him.

"Why me?"

You don't need god to give you an answer, instead look to Courage Wolf

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/3197/couragewolfwinner.jpg

The last line is the answer to 'why'
aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd want to know just exactly what is wrong with revenge? The prospects seems to have such powerful healing properties.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aalpha wrote:
I'd want to know just exactly what is wrong with revenge? The prospects seems to have such powerful healing properties.

Religion doesn't mind revenge ( an eye for an eye and all that )

However, it's more of a logical fallacy that '2 wrongs make a right' where the problem arises.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_wrongs_make_a_right

I liked this quote from Wikipedia ( which in turn gets it from it's own listed references )

Quote:

Desire for the sustenance of power motivates vengeful behavior as a means of impression management: "People who are more vengeful tend to be those who are motivated by power, by authority and by the desire for status. They don't want to lose face," says Social psychologist Ian McKee.

Last edited by Lamiaceae on Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Religion & Philosophy All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: