Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Death becomes her

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Death becomes her Reply with quote

Remember the film 'Death Becomes Her' ?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/nov/28/scientists-reverse-ageing-mice-humans

Seems science claims to be able to do such a thing with mice. Given that recently there were reports that something like this was close and that the first human to reach 1000 years old was believed to be 60 years old now ( aalpha really is going to be immortal )

Could this really work? - as our lifespans extend how would this affect global population?

Or needn't we worry? is the world heading for an Idiocracy like future and so this sort of advancement wont help us in the long run ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSROlfR7WTo
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a personal level, this is brilliant - who wouldn't think that living a longer, healthier life is a bad idea? But as Minty mentions, unless the birth rate slowed (which I doubt it would), the human population would greatly increase - possibly to unstable levels. Could we produce enoug food and resources to support us? Would we fly off to other planets and galaxies to steal their resources (like many a sci-fi movie)

My other worry would be financial. Who can afford to have a longer pension fund? Or would the government just make us work longer? (which they plan to anyway!)

EDIT - what were you doing reading the Guardian Minty? Have you gone soft on us?

AVARiCE
Lowering the Tone Since 2005

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

area51newmexico wrote:
On a personal level, this is brilliant - who wouldn't think that living a longer, healthier life is a bad idea?

Oh oh! Pick me! Pick me!!!!!!

~ AVARiCE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Current Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: