Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Christmas Traditions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rach
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Christmas Traditions Reply with quote

I am feeling particularly festive at the moment, as I went to a Christmas quiz last night and am going to a carol service tonight. I was wondering if anyone has any Christmas traditions that might be particular to their family...

When my brother and I were little, we couldn't wait to Christmas Day to open presents. We always used to put the presents out on Christmas Eve so they didn't tempt us too much before the day itself. However, we each always got to open one present of our choice on Christmas Eve. We don't do this anymore though...

We still get stockings, but because we are grown up now, the whole family gets one (instead of just my brother and I getting big stockings, my parents, my brother and I get small ones instead).

We have always had a little something waiting for us on the table for after Christmas dinner (some chocolates or something like that) to spin out the presents a bit longer (otherwise we have finished in less than an hour and don't know what to do for the rest of the day).

So, how about you?

Vagilik
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont have any more traditions, not since i was a kid.

It was the same way for me and my sister; we would get to open 1 present on Christmas Eve. Other than that I don't think much was repeated year after year. I moved around a lot and spent Christmas with so many different people, so i guess that would be why
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We always leave all the presents until Xmas day - it makes the day last a little longer.

Apart from that, we don't really have any traditions. We usually go for a walk while the turkey is cooking.

Rach
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we leave all the prezzie to Christmas Day. And we have a few 'little extras' tucked away to open later in the day - as the prezzies in the stockings and under the tree last less than 2hrs usually!

We normally open the stocking prezzies, then have breakfast (always scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on toast, with bucks fizz to drink), then we would take the dog on a walk to tire him out a bit (he was like a small child - he had to 'help' everyone open their prezzies, especially if they were edible - we also had to distract him with prezzies for him every so often, even if it was just hiding a dog biscuit in wrapping paper), then open the tree prezzies, then lunch. This year will be a bit different - our dog died at Easter, so we don't have to consider tiring him out, but I think we probably will still go for a walk. It wont be the same - my granny also died, only last month, so it wont be such a merry christmas for us, but we will try to make it as happy as possible

alienator
Oh Perfect One

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't really have any Christmas traditions as such. We tend to leave the pressie opening before & after x mas dinner.

When my sister & I were kids...our main pressies from our parents were left to be opened last.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: