Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in

Bookmark this site!
I need a job

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vagilik
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: I need a job Reply with quote

So, I've been working at Clearwire, LLC just over 4 and a half years now and they are announcing we have until July 31st to get new jobs. No severance pay because they are giving us advanced warning. I'm doing my best to apply at new places, but its kind of hard when I already work monday thru friday. ive been putting in online applications, but havent been able to do any footwork as of yet and havent had any callbacks. If anyone knows of places hiring and willing to refer me in Las Vegas, NV. I would greatly appreciate it. Even if its a work from home job that would be fine. I do tech support for internet and have done it for other things as well. ive also worked in food and photo labs. i have management experience too. if you need any more details lemme know. anything would be good right now; i have a family to take care of and bills to pay. I have 2 kids and 1 on the way. thanks everyone.

Tim
AKA Vagilik
stalker
Forum Champion

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear that dude.. don't have any jobs going in UK at the moment, but guessing that's a bit far away anyway! Smile no severance is harsh, we automatically get something once worked for 2 years in UK, not much though unless you been there ages.. (1 week per year ish for most people unless your company is more generous)
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*hugs* I hope you're ok

My advice for job hunting is to apply for EVERYTHING going. Even if you think 'oh it's not really for me' or 'I don't really suit what they are looking for', you never know your luck.

The more jobs you apply for, the better! Before I got my current job, I must have applied for well over 100 jobs and went to 12 different interviews over the course of just a few months. In fact, one day I even had three interviews!

Ask someone else to proof-read your resume (is that what's called in The States? We call it a CV here). They might help spot errors etc.

It is also worth writing a good 'covering letter' (the letter which goes with your resume when you post/email your application). I have standard text and then I customise each letter to suit that particular job.

Also, do you have 'employment agencies' (for temp jobs) over there? It might be worth signing up with them - often temp jobs led places. And if not, it's some money/experience in the meantime!

Good luck! And keep your chin up!

Vagilik
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stalker wrote:
sorry to hear that dude.. don't have any jobs going in UK at the moment, but guessing that's a bit far away anyway! Smile no severance is harsh, we automatically get something once worked for 2 years in UK, not much though unless you been there ages.. (1 week per year ish for most people unless your company is more generous)

They usually have severance pay if they lay you off with little or no warning. its the same concept basically depending on tenure, but since they are giving us so much notice they figure they dont have to pay us. my sister got laid off here in the same company and got 10 weeks severance. Not so much for me.

Thanks for the advice Helen, they do have temp agencies and I am also putting as many online apps as i can. makes it hard to go to interviews when i work lol, but i'll worry about that when i get to it. ive had 5 people look at my resume, so i think i've got it pretty straight; i dont use a cover letter though. with my experience (out here anyways) they ony look at the first couple parts of your resume and hardly ever look at the cover letter.

Anyways thanks all, and if you hear of anything please let me know Smile
warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.rayjobs.com

we always have lots of openings all over the world. There is a whole crap load of spots open in antartica for the "summer season" to get your foot in the door. There are also lots of other places too.

http://wideopenracing.easyphpbb.com/index.php
Vagilik
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warwgn wrote:
www.rayjobs.com

we always have lots of openings all over the world. There is a whole crap load of spots open in antartica for the "summer season" to get your foot in the door. There are also lots of other places too.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Help Me!! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: