Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
My new job. . . .

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: My new job. . . . Reply with quote

I don't know if the, hmmm, would you folks across the pond be non-Americans or un-Americans?

Anyway, once upon a time there was a tool company called Lufkin. The name has changed at least 2 times but the stuff I work on still bears the Lufkin name.

I run a print machine that prints the numbers and incremental marks between feet and inches. I'll spare you the step by step process as it can involve scores if not hundreds of steps and branches of tasks.

I mentioned to Helen in an email I was really enjoying this round of unemployment. I worked so much overtime in the call center my UI payment (unemployment insurance) was very near what I made in a 40 hour week after taxes.

I was staying in bed till 10:30-11:00am almost every day. My poor kitties thought I was sick or dead.

Then a guy I see nearly every Tuesday evening at a local seafood place mentioned he was just about fed up. He retired 2 years ago and the company keeps calling him back in because no one they hire to do this job stays with it.

Knowing UI doesn't last forever I piped in and said "what you think about me taking a shot at this job?" I'm not working again and the bills didn't get laid off with me.

So he spoke to his boss, I got call, and now I'm a contract employee (temporary) with intent to hire. So far, so good.

The job is not pretty, nor glamorous, but it pays pretty good as a temp and will pay even better if I get hired on as a regular employee.

'nuff said.

Lately, Roz has been going down to "the ditch" in my back garden and stalks something and pursues it and spends 30 minutes at the time in tiger mode.

I was mowing the lawn recently and I think I found the object of her dreams. Behold

Well here's a piece of the ditch first. . .

Now the prey. . .

A green bullfrog, a new-born me thinks. They can get as heavy as 2 or 3 pounds easily.

Here's a special couple of pix for Helen. Here's the latest cutie-pie to cast shadows on my back door.

And a side view. . . .

And of course here's Houdini and Artemis eating off my front seat.

And finally as you know I don't post pix and not include Miss Roswell Helly.

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well congratz on the new job!

http://wideopenracing.easyphpbb.com/index.php
Vagilik
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!! know anyone else hiring? (Las Vegas, NV. to be exact) Razz
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new job:) Hope you enjoy it (as much as youcan any job anyway!)

Loving the pics.

Cats naturally like to sit by ponds/water. My Clio used to sit for hours by our pond in the back garden.

The cat in the first picture - is that a new cat? Or just one of your current 'possee' but looking different?

aalpha

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Vagilik, sorry. Not even the company I just got the job with is hiring; out loud that is. I got this gig from knowing the guy who is trying to leave.

@ Helen, the kitty in the door is one that shows up now and then. Prob owned but can't tell.

@ warwgn, gracias.

I tried posting this last night and this morning but couldn't. Some php error thingy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: